Thursday, September 13, 2007

this journey. . .


This trail is part of the walk that takes you to Sonel's house. (He is the guy who fell from the tree in June.)

Today as we walked to go change Sonel's dressing and check on him, I started thinking about what our lives are like. That we walk down many paths, some chosen wisely and others not so wisely.
I think this mindset was perpetuated because I had a visitor after lunch. It was someone who I care about and have known here in Haiti for years. I have walked throuhg life with him as he lost his wife to probably AIDS and TB and then the loss of his infant son who was HIV positive and finally testing the father and he was positive. We have had talks about what this means to the rest of his life, living HIV positive. Sometimes when I come he is sicker than others, sometimes better, always thinner.
Today after lunch he wanted to introduce me to his new Madam who was four months pregnant. He was excited. I wasn't. I didn't know what to do or say. I gave her some vitamins and told her that she must come for prenatal care. I hope and pray that care doesn't reveal that she is also now HIV positive. But who knows.
We all make choices. I don't know if my response to this news was what it should have been. I didn't say much. But I know that the continued journey with this person will be hard and I am praying for wisdom for how to walk alongside him.
I am heading to the far west tomorrow for Friday and Saturday so I won't post for a few days.

No comments: